- TRAINING WITH CHUTE
- BASIC SAFETY COURSE
- COX – BASIC COURSE
- COX – REFRESHER COURSE
- FRC – BASIC COURSE
- FRC – REFRESHER COURSE
- MEDICAL FIRST AID, MEDICINE CHEST C, REFRESHER COURSE
- MEDICAL FIRST AID, MEDICINE CHEST C, BASIC COURSE
- MEDICAL FIRST AID, MEDICINE CHEST B, REFRESHER COURSE
- MEDICAL FIRST AID, MEDICINE CHEST B, BASIC COURSE
- MEDICAL FIRST AID, MEDICINE CHEST A, REFRESHER COURSE
- MEDICAL FIRST AID, MEDICINE CHEST A, BASIC COURSE
- MEDICAL FIRST AID, UPGRADE FROM CHEST B TO CHEST A
- GMDSS RADIO COMMUNICATION COURSE – LRC
Safety course for crew members on fishing vessels
Register for basic safety course F, direct link:
7 June – HERE
General information: Bring your health certificate for seafarers when registering.
Cancellations must be made by email no later than 3 business days prior to the start of the course to allow others to book your place and to reimburse your course fee.
Endorsement: STCW 78 A-VI/1-1, 1-3, 1-4, incl. Manila 2010 amendments plus STCW F III/1-2 and 1-6.
Applicable to: First-time seafarers on fishing vessels.
Entry requirements: Valid health certificate for seafarers. The course is taught in the Faroese language. Participants who do not understand Faroese can only participate with the aid of an interpreter.
Objective: To teach participants to operate and maintain safety and fire fighting equipment in addition to providing appropriate instructions on personal safety and responsibilities. The aim is to improve the ability of seafarers on fishing vessels to prevent accidents and manage distress situations.
Upon course completion, participants are required to have achieved the ability to perform self-rescue and effect rescue of others in distress.
Participants will learn about:
- Location devices on ships
- Muster plans – structure and operation
- Inflatable rescue boats and associated equipment
- Hydrostatic release units (HRUs) – function and installation
- Elementary first aid
- Elementary fire fighting
- Theoretical introduction to different types of fishing vessels, equipment and installations
- Precautions for hazardous operations on board ships
Contents: Participants will learn about:
- Alarms and mustering
- Inflatable rescue boat
- Equipment in inflatable rescue boat
- Personal safety and safety equipment
- Practical drills with inflatable rescue boats and rescue equipment
- Practical drills with first aid and fire fighting
- Theoretical introduction to different types of fishing vessels and fishing equipment
- Work on board fishing vessels in general
Course duration: 4 days.
Validity: 5 years.
Number of participants: Minimum 3. Maximum 16.
School pupils: The course price for pupils of the Faroese ‘fólkaskúlin’ elementary school is DKK 2,500, which is to be paid by bank transfer and not with a credit card on the website.
Self-study: This course is not available on a home study or partial home study basis. Offering our seafarers home study on important and practically oriented subjects with high skill requirements is not deemed advisable.
Course structure: The course is scheduled for 4 days. Participants will attain the knowledge and skills required of a crew member on fishing vessels.
Sjónám’s knowledgeable and experienced instructors are skilled at combining regular classroom teaching with practical exercises.
Participants will acquire their skills through effective training and exercises and training in Sjónám’s state-of-the art facilities with careful guidance from our highly competent instructors throughout the course.
This learning environment promotes a healthy blend of independence, cooperation and safety at sea for our course participants.
This is an exciting course in which participants gain a solid insight into life on board fishing vessels.
Executive order: Read the current executive order here (in Faroese only).